The focus of this position is on media relations. This involves working with local and national media to get positive coverage of NACA and its various programs including its ground-breaking ‘Achieve the Dream’ events. The Media Specialist would create and edit press releases and reach out directly to journalists, reporters, news producers and editors. S/he would also have a key role in developing exciting new communication initiatives at NACA including radio ads, podcasts, website enhancements, and social media. NACA’s communication activities will grow markedly as it launches multi-state initiatives focused on student debt, criminal justice and economic justice issues.
NACA is looking for a very driven, creative individual with a passion for promoting NACA’s mission and ongoing initiatives and actions to both local and national audiences. The ideal candidate is an energetic media savvy professional with a background in TV, print and/or radio with experience as a reporter, editor and/or producer.
NACA is the country’s largest HUD approved non-profit homeownership, housing counseling, and advocacy organization with more than three million Members strong and 47 offices nationwide. NACA has established a proven track record of over three decades, not only earning respect for its operations but also becoming feared by predatory lenders. NACA’s reputation is built on being the most effective organization providing affordable homeownership in the United States. NACA has been on the forefront of fighting against abusive and discriminatory lending practices over more than thirty years. NACA is aggressively hiring hardworking, relentless, and dedicated individuals who are willing and eager to fight for economic justice and racial equality. NACA provides unprecedented opportunities for its staff to do well financially by doing good.
Founded in 1988, NACA has won campaigns against some of the country’s most powerful companies and individuals engaged in predatory and discriminatory lending. NACA’s success is a result of its relentless confrontational advocacy as well as state of the art systems and operations. NACA’s purchase program provides comprehensive counseling as HUD’s largest housing counseling agency (through its Neighborhood Stabilization Corporation subsidiary) with access to NACA’s Best in America mortgage, requiring no down payment, no closing costs, no mortgage insurance, no need for perfect credit, and always at a below-market, fixed interest rate. NACA has more than $20 billion in mortgage commitments with $15 billion from Bank of America to fund this extraordinary mortgage. NACA is also the most effective organization in providing affordable solutions to homeowners with an unaffordable mortgage and has done so for more than 500,000 at-risk homeowners nationwide through its HomeSave program. Built on this unprecedented track record of success, NACA is rapidly expanding across the country and is hiring many hardworking, dedicated, exceptional new employees. NACA continues its aggressive advocacy in fighting for economic justice for low to moderate income people and communities. NACA also continues to fight for economic justice, including eliminating unaffordable student debt, increasing taxes on the wealthy, reducing income inequality, ending structural racism, and mitigating climate change, among other issues. Employees at NACA have a tremendous impact on the communities and Members they serve. For more information about NACA or its history and programs, visit www.naca.com.
Advocacy in Support of NACA’s Mission:
Employment with NACA requires ongoing participation in NACA’s advocacy, outreach, community organizing, and other activities as determined by NACA. Counselors need to support and actively promote the organization’s mission, tactics, and advocacy. Such participation in and support of NACA’s aggressive advocacy campaigns and other activities is important in advocating for economic justice and expanding NACA’s Best in America Mortgage and homeownership program.
A successful candidate will be responsible for media relations including but not limited to:
- Establish contacts and solid working relationships with national and local media, with additional involvement as needed with politicians, community leaders, and others.
- Respond to press inquiries, draft press releases and media advisories, and track press coverage.Identify media and public affairs opportunities.
- Engage in the creation and execution of targeted mailings and the distribution of materials and information about NACA programs, events and advocacy campaigns.
- Work with NACA’s community organizers and other staff to identify media opportunities to support NACA’s campaigns and promote community and Member engagement.
- Craft messaging for public and media relations campaigns (including identification and pursuit of media contacts) and marketing efforts to promote NACA’s work and elevate its profile online, on TV/radio, and in print.
- Establish and manage a database of media contacts.
- Enhance and manage NACA’s website content and social media communications.
- Work with NACA staff to effectively promote NACA, its mission, and campaigns.
- Engage in the creation of internal communication to NACA staff and volunteers.
- Provide event assistance.
- Other tasks as assigned.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree – Required.
- Training and certifications that demonstrate important knowledge and credentials – Preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
While all the below experiences and skills are not required, the extent a candidate has them the stronger the application.
- Experience as a reporter, producer or editor.
- Experience in presenting on TV or radio.
- Experience with the media representing a politician, government or private section entity.
- Extensive contacts and solid working relationships with local and media contacts.
- Extensive contacts and solid working relationships with politicians, community leaders and others.
- Experience in navigating various media to get access.
- Large number of media contacts.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to create tailored messaging to different audiences.
- Strong writing, editing, presentation and oral communication skills, as well as an ability to synthesize and translate complicated information into clear, compelling language.
- A credible and engaging personal presence.
- Willingness to think entrepreneurially and creatively.
- Background in mortgage industry and/or non-profit helpful, but not required.
- Ability to write and speak languages other than English, particularly Spanish, is a plus.
NACA seeks leaders with a positive and open attitude, a strong work ethic and relentless commitment to success with attention to detail. Refer to Core Competencies & Skills for details.
Boston, MA (preferred)
The Media Specialist must be able to meet the demands of the job that consists of 55+ hours a week. This is a demanding position requiring dedication and the willingness and ability to work long hours including evenings and weekends. Extensive national travel is required.
Based on experience, skills, degrees and certifications.
Comprehensive package: single/family health, vision, dental, 401(k) and more.
To follow-up and for inquiries regarding this and other positions contact NACA’s HR Department at [email protected] or call 617-250-6222 ext. 1221.
NACA is an equal opportunity employer and provides second chance opportunities. Minorities and bilingual people, particularly those who speak Spanish, are strongly encouraged to apply.
This job description is solely for descriptive purposes and does not constitute a contract for employment.