The Underwriter evaluates and approves files submitted by NACA Counselors based on “Character Lending” criteria. The credit decision criteria is based on a Member applicant’s payment history and compensating factors and does not include consideration of their credit score. NACA does not use traditional risk-based pricing criteria, but rather determines if the file demonstrates that a Member is ready for home ownership and the requested payment is within their affordability. This is an underwriting position where the Underwriter must be able to manually calculate income and underwrite mortgages based on the Member’s individual circumstances. This includes examining and verifying documents and data entry to ensure accuracy and completeness; determining an affordable mortgage payment for the Member; and reviewing a complete document package to make an approval decision. This position requires communication with Members, real estate agents, participating lenders and others to assist Members through the qualification, bank application, and closing process.
Day-to-day activities include:
- Underwrite files for counseling, qualification and/or Max PITI approval based on NACA’s character-based lending criteria.
- Determine and communicate to the Housing Counselor what needs to be done for a Member to be NACA Qualified.
- Examine and verify the documents and data entry to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Determine an affordable mortgage payment for the Member.
- Review the Member’s payment history and explanations.
- Respond to all Credit Access submissions and Qualification reviews.
- Determine if the lender conditions are appropriate and advocate for Members when necessary to get them waived.
- Complete the Change of Circumstances.
- Obtain documents and information needed to bring the file to close.
- Provide real estate agents and Members updates regarding their files at bank.
- Work with lender to obtain credit and income approval.
- Ensure the lender provides the Closing Disclosure in time to meet closing date and obtain early acknowledgement when needed.
- Additional responsibilities should NACA become a correspondent lender.
- Adhere to the guidelines and requirements set forth in NACA’s policies and procedures for all applicable job responsibilities.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Assist in advocacy campaigns.
- Assist in outreach in low/moderate income communities, churches and job sites.
- Provide training as required.
- Participate in ad hoc activities and other duties as assigned from NACA management.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or offsetting work experience – Required
- Mortgage and/or real estate courses – Required
- Underwriting Certification and Approval at least $500,000 – Preferred
- Completed 20 hour course required by the SAFE Act – Preferred
- Passage of the NMLS National portion of the Mortgage Loan Originator exam – Preferred
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Underwriting and/or Mortgage processing experience – Required
- 3+ years underwriting mortgages, or very experienced and effective NACA Mortgage Consultant – Preferred
- Education, such as teaching and training
- Mortgage Origination, Processing and/or Loss Mitigation
- Financial counseling or advisory role
- Proficiency in math and working with financial data
- Ability to write and speak languages other than English, particularly Spanish, is a plus.
NACA seeks leaders with a positive and open attitude, a strong work ethic and relentless commitment to success with attention to detail. Refer to Core Competencies & Skills for details.
45 to 50+ hours per week with overtime as permitted and necessary.
Total compensation is $49,000 – $70,000+ based on pay of $24 – $30 per hour plus overtime.
Comprehensive package: single/family health, vision, dental, 401(k) and more.
To follow-up and for inquiries regarding this and other positions contact NACA’s HR Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-250-6222 ext. 1221.
NACA is an equal opportunity employer and provides second chance opportunities. Minorities and bilingual people, particularly those who speak Spanish, are strongly encouraged to apply.
This job description is solely for descriptive purposes and does not constitute a contract for employment.