NACA seeks to hire an experienced and creative National Research Director to significantly expand NACA’s research capability in support of its advocacy efforts. NACA has a rich history of affecting transformative change in homeownership and ethical and just bank lending practices through advocacy and direct action. The research targets both local and national issues. The Research Director will help build on NACA’s record of success to drive progressive changes on issues of economic justice. By identifying and uncovering information that will help mobilize communities across the country, research efforts are crucial for NACA’ success. Research supports NACA’s community organizers, communications staff, members, supporters, and others.
The Research Director will be based in Boston, report to NACA’s CEO, and join NACA’s growing senior leadership team to craft national campaign and advocacy strategies and priorities. The Research team will support NACA’s community organizers, communications staff, members, supporters, and others with ongoing research that supports local and national issues. While building the department, the Director will play a hands-on role serving as a lead researcher.
- Set research strategy in partnership with the CEO and implement all research-related projects. Identify critical aspects of campaigns and research needs. Identify, obtain, and use all available resources to conduct thorough research of campaign issues, individuals, companies, etc. Establish systems for capturing and managing research and investigative data. Work with organizers, staff, community leaders and other organizations to develop information. Oversee polling, focus group studies, and public opinion research. Contact persons, borrowers, companies and others to execute investigations. Balance strategic goals and ad hoc projects.
- Recruit and lead a highly talented research team. Manage research staff to ambitious goals. Train and mentor research staff members and provide guidance and support to other teams for their research needs.
- Support strategy development. Provide thoughtful, proactive leadership from the research perspective to high-level strategy development. Work with the NACA management team to develop effective and successful ballot initiatives. Organize and assist in advocacy campaigns as necessary.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree – Required.
- Graduate Degree – Preferred.
- Certifications, training, and licenses that demonstrate important knowledge and credentials – Preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
The ideal candidate will be an experienced leader in the field of corporate campaign research, investigations, and/or financial analysis and will have a proven record of using strategic research for accomplishing campaign objectives and targeting solutions. S/he will excel at leading and managing a high performing research staff to ambitious goals and will be a skilled communicator with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to operate in a high pressure, fast-paced, shifting environment. A personal and professional commitment to social and economic justice, strong work ethic, relentless pursuit of success, and comfort pushing forward in ambiguous and uncertain situations are essential.
Specific requirements include:
- Seven (7+) years of research experience, including: significant experience successfully managing significant research operations.
- Four (4+) years of supervisory and recruiting experience.
- Experience in the field of corporate campaign research, investigations and/or financial analysis
- Background in mortgage industry and/or non-profit helpful, but not required.
- A successful record of conducting and managing strategic research, investigations and/or financial analysis. Experience using strategic research for accomplishing campaign objectives and targeting solutions to problems with a proven ability to create strategic research products that are concise, targeted, and bold.
- Demonstrated experience managing research staff to ambitious goals with a keen eye for accuracy, detail, and facts. Experience building and training a coordinated and aligned research team.
- Understanding of print, broadcast, and online media and the intersection between research, media, and policy.
- Demonstrable focus, resilience, and the problem-solving skill to develop solutions under challenging circumstances. The judgment, maturity, and savvy to manage up and down effectively, working and delegating in order to meet aggressive deadlines and ambitious goals in a fast-paced environment.
- Impeccable writing, presentation and oral communication skills, as well as an ability to synthesize and translate complicated information into clear, compelling language.
- Ability to think critically, make decisions, and justify recommendations based on data and analysis. Willingness to think entrepreneurially and creatively.
- Ability to write and speak languages other than English, particularly Spanish, is a plus.
NACA seeks leaders with a positive and open attitude, a strong work ethic and relentless commitment to success with attention to detail. Refer to Core Competencies & Skills for details.
Headquarters – Boston Massachusetts
The Research Director must be able to meet the demands of the job that consists of 50+ hours a week. This is a very demanding leadership position requiring tremendous dedication and the willingness and ability to work long hours including evenings and weekends. Some national travel is expected.
This is an exempt position with salary based on experience, skills, degrees and certifications. The candidate’s performance evaluation and future compensation is largely based on meeting the Job Responsibilities, Competencies and Skills stated herein.
Comprehensive package: single/family health, vision, dental, 401(k) and more.
To follow-up and for inquiries regarding this and other positions contact NACA’s HR Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-250-6222 ext. 1221.
NACA is an equal opportunity employer and provides second chance opportunities. Minorities and bilingual people, particularly those who speak Spanish, are strongly encouraged to apply.
This job description is solely for descriptive purposes and does not constitute a contract for employment.